Monday 22 June 2020

Next stage - sampling



Sample:Gold leaf with stitching
In this posting, I'm going to be writing about the next stage of my newest textile work which is sampling. I don't tend to do that much sampling unless it's to try out something that can't be reversed. As I use antique textiles, it's not a case of starting again if I don't like the result. I experimented with using gold leaf as a background and embroidering on top to see the effect.

What I learnt was that it was tough to stitch through and it would need a few coats of glue on top to stop it flaking off. I also painted over the gold leaf to knock back its shininess and also to see what adding a bit of colour would look.

I've used gold leaf as I'm a great admirer of Japanese screens where gold is often used as a background. I wanted it to look slightly worn and cracked not shiny new. When the gold leaf is applied, it also looks textural as the grain of the textile shows through.  

The stitching of course, is to represent the light from stars radiating out.


 


Sample:Painted into the gold leaf

Sample:Embroidery on top of gold leaf


A backing cloth of an indigo dyed old linen sheet was prepared with patches of red cotton (originally from a Victorian quilt). The patches of red match up where the holes and rips of the furoshiki cloth which I am using as the top cloth. The red will peak through these hole to suggest hint of another dimension. 

Next posting will be about the final application on the top cloth.


Underneath the main cloth, a backing cloth

No comments:

Post a Comment