Thursday 29 January 2015

The Festival of Quilts

Map of a celestial journey. 2014



My quilt at the Festival of Quilts 2014

 I know it's been a while, so I'll just update from where I left off...

My quilt was displayed at The Festival of Quilts in August last year at the Birmingham NEC. It did look wonderful hung amongst other quilts on show. I've never been to the FOQ before so took the opportunity and a very reasonable priced train ticket to visit.

Inside is a huge venue with displays, exhibitions, workshops and huge amount of sellers of all things textile related. It's definitely worth a visit if you live nearby just to stock up on haberdashery and fabrics and I managed to come away with a few lovely fabrics for future makes.

There were hundreds of quilts on show with great skill which must have taken many, many months to complete, with a variety of techniques from traditional quilting to more modern and abstract approaches. I'm more a fan of the modern myself!


There was an amazing quilt by Sarah Impey, who is known for her use of text.



This is the quilt that won the Fine Art Masters category by textile artist Brigitte Kopp. 



If I have time I would like to produce a quilt for this year's FOQ but this time, more of a miniature sized one! A great show for textile lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment